Top four hopes alive

Club Green Streets kept their top four hopes alive with a difficult 1-0 victory against Kudahuvadhoo at the Galolhu National Stadium, despite playing the majority of the game with ten-man.

William Macko scored the only goal of the match, midway through to the second half with a brilliantly taken free-kick.

Having registered their first victory in the second round of the league, Club Green Streets remained in fourth, but moved onto 16 points, four behind Maziya in third, 9 behind TC Sports Club and three ahead of their nearest rival Thinadhoo on fifth place while Kudahuvadhoo remained on bottom of the league table with two points from 11 games.

Club Green Streets made two changes to the side that drew 1-1 against Milandhoo on Thursday, with Ahmed Ashfan and Ahmed Nizam coming in place of Mukhtar Naseer and Mohamed Nazaam while Ali Shamis returned after suspension but he was named on the bench.

Afonja Jibola had the first chance of the game in the opening minute but his strike from inside the box struck the post.

Moments later, Ahmed Ashfan had a glorious chance for Club Green Streets with a free-kick from outside the box, but he failed to hit the target before an unmarked Ahmed Hassan had another decent chance but he lifted the shot over the bar.

Just around half hour mark, William forced a decent save from Kudahuvadhoo keeper Abdulla Yazeed with a strike from outside the box.

Despite dominating the play for the larger part of the first half, Green Streets were dealt a blow when Ahmed Hassan was given marching orders by the referee for a foul on Irufan Adam while the ball was out of play. This was the second time in the last three matches, a player from their side has been sent off.

As a result, Kudahuvadhoo took the control of the game and were causing problems for Green Streets defence, and Adam Shaheem had their best chance when he struck the cross bar with a decent strike from inside the box with three minutes remaining from first half.

Sobol Illia’s goal bound cross from outside the box went straight to Yazeed in the opening minute of second half.

Then on 53 minutes, Shaheem had a shot saved by Fairooz before another attempt from Jibola was cleared from inside the six-yard box moments later.

Two minutes later, there were chances for William and Rizuhaan but both their shots failed to clearly pose any threat for Kudahuvadhoo defence.

Just around hour mark, Irufan and Jibola forced two quick saves from Fairooz.

Then on 65 minutes, Hassan Ibrahim’s free-kick from outside the box went straight to Fairooz.

In the 68th minute, Mohamed Ismail had a decent chance from inside the box but his shot was unfortunately struck his team mate Jibola.

Green Streets finally broke the deadlock after 72 minutes when William opened the scoring with a brilliant free-kick from outside the box into the top corner the net.

In the 82nd minute, Kudahuvadhoo’s Shaheem had a great chance to level the score from the spot, but he failed to convert the spot kick as he struck the post.

Four minutes later, at the other end, Ibrahim Rizuhaan hits the post from a decent strike from inside the box.

Shaheem had another wonderful chance to score for Kudahuvadhoo when he forced a decent save from Fairooz with three minutes from time.

Related Post